lunes, 27 de junio de 2011

Culture Shock 1

As part of the Ability Diploma Program at the Universidad de Morelia where I will be teaching Module IV (Culture Shock) this summer, I'd like to start out with some really interesting videos I found on Youtube. It is about cultural differences, in particular, the Traveler Culture, or otherwise known as, Gypsy Culture, and how travelers in the UK live today.  If you think that cultural differences are more marked when skin color or language comes into the equation, think again! Leave your comments here about the videos!








Reflection Points:
  1. What similarities do you see between the ideas and concepts presented in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and "Big Fat Gypsy Wedding"? What about the differences?
  2. Why do you think Sam has decided to leave her cultural context in middle class England to live with Pat, in his traveler community?
  3. Would you ever leave your own culture to live in a different one? 


2 comentarios:

  1. 1 .- similarities are that both cultures tend to make great wedding and not modest weddings, other similarities also the way they dress is so extravagant. the pink dress with a butterfly and lights went out in the two videos and my wedding gypsy girl likes that dress for her wedding. Differences are the things that used to party, because although both are great wedding, the first is more glamorous than the second. Another difference is the way to live the Greek people living in one place while the gypsy people living in buses moving.
    2 .- I think that Sam left his cultural context because it was not very attached to their customs besides he was in love with a person with different culture.
    3 .- In my case, I think, because I like my culture and I would not change it, if I would like to know other cultures and customs but not join them.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. 1.-I guess that the similarities are that one of each relationship begin to adopt the culture of the other person of the couple. Sam and Ian do that. The difference are the culture, the greek and the gypsy cultures, the personalities, the ages and the families.
    2.- Because she really loves Pat and doesn´t care to leave her own culture and decides that it´s better being with the person that she loves.
    3.-Depends, if I have a big reason, if I know that I can be happier and I can do what I want and if I should not change myself, yes I would.

    ResponderEliminar